Project Quilting is a series of challenges hosted by Persimon Dreams that requires a project to be made with your interpretation of the challenge rule. Read all about Project Quilting on Kim’s blog. This is the 14th year of this and I heard about it and decided to join in and challenge myself, especially with the quilting design side of things. I am also trying to do most if not all of the quilting on my domestic.
What was the rule?
RULE 3: YOU MUST BE INSPIRED BY THE TRADITIONAL 54-40 OR FIGHT QUILT PATTERN
How it works
You have one week (until noon the next Sunday) to meet the challenge.
- Every challenge piece must be a FINISHED project seen through from INCEPTION to COMPLETION during the challenge timeline.
- Each piece must stand alone as DONE to count toward prizes.
- Your project does not need to be a traditional quilt, but must meet at least one of these requirements: include patchwork, include appliqué, have 3 layers stitched together by hand or machine.
54-40 or fight mini quilt (project quilting 14.3)
I have simply layered backing wadding and background, pinned in place then stitched a stabilizing rectangle before quilting in the design. This was quilted on my domestic machine rather than the longarm.
Did I stick to the rule?
54-40 or Fight: As I am using this event as a challenge to my domestic machine quilting, I did not want to piece a block, so I quilted it instead. I drew up the block using the blue water erasable markers we stock in our shop, then I stabilised the quilt sandwich using pins before quilting with red, orange and gold. An advantage of being a longarm quilter is that I have plenty of threads to choose from
The feather quilting is always so much easier on the longarm and I did find my feathers imrpoved as I went, though they are far from perfect.
I used the Janome walking foot to do the straight lines and made 3 lines. The bonus of this is that it defines the shape and also fills a bit of space which means my feathers could be slightly smaller, I thought this might help on this quilt.
- cotton fabric and scrap of wadding
- 9 x 9 inches
- tone on tone cream blender fabric for top and backing
- Scrap for the binding
- Rasant thread red #1912, orange #1317 and gold #0822
- Title – ’54-40 Mini quilt’